Monday, May 11, 2009

Week of Wesak

Last one week was a religious week for me where I attended an international Buddhist conference, discussion with a string of Buddhist clerics and scholars, interviewed in a Buddhist satellite tv channel, participated in the Wesak Day celebration in my family regular temple and chaired the committee election of a Buddhist society I formed some years ago.


The United Nations Day of Vesak was held from 4 - 6 May 2009 at Maha Chulalongkorn Buddhist University in Ayuthaya, Buddhamonthon Temple and UN ESCAP office in Bangkok. This year's theme was "Buddhist Approach to Global Crisis". The sub-theme deliberated on pollitical, environmental and economic situation affecting the world today.


With the conclusion of the conference, a Bangkok Declaration was issued. It will be more productive if the organisers will follow through with the relevant international agencies to present the results of the conference for further actions.


While in Bangkok I was invited by the Dharmakaya Temple as a guest in their satellite TV station Dhamma Media Channel to share on my role in the World Fellowship of Buddhist Youth particularly as director of the organisation development unit. I was also asked to comment on the recent UN Day of Vesak Conference and it's probable impact to the community.


During Wesak Day my family and I were at a local temple situated near my house to pay respect to the Lord Buddha and participated in programs arranged by the temple. This is also the temple where my children attended their weekly Dhamma school. The temple was crowded with devotees coming in droves and Puja service was carried out in spread out sessions to enable all devotees to attend it inside the main shrine.


The UKM Buddhist Association had their annual general meeting one day after Wesak. I chaired the election session which elected a new team comprising many new faces lead by Leow Hoay Hoay. With so many fresh faces, hoped it will also develop fresh ideas to uplift the organisation. - Loka

No comments: