Wednesday, March 5, 2008

In Search of Yang Berkhidmat?

As a citizen of this country, participating in the electoral process has been a duty for me since I qualified to do so. I first voted in the Klang constituency. After I shifted to Subang Jaya, I tried to change my voting residence address after the 1995 election but my name was transferred to the Kapar voters’ registry instead. I voted there for the 1999 election. I managed to change my voting address to Subang Jaya in time for the 2004 general election.

So, as a registered voter since 1990, I have voted in three different parliamentary constituencies, namely Klang, Kapar and now Kelana Jaya.

As a resident of Subang Jaya since mid 1990s, I was able to cross the ballot paper for my area YB only once, which is in 2004. Lee Hwa Beng won unopposed for the Subang Jaya state seat due to rejection of his opponent’s nomination form due to technicality. Loh Seng Kok won the parliamentary seat of Kelana Jaya with a huge majority, beating a prominent trade unionist.

Fast forward to 2008. I will be exercising my right again as a citizen of this country and this time I will be courted by 5 aspirants YB’s although one of them already enjoyed the YB status for the last 13 years.

The last election was quite an easy choice for me to make, as I am familiar with one of the candidate performance since my many years ago. My choice was proven a wise decision indeed as the candidate that I voted for live to the mark as an exemplary parliamentarian. He spoke for many of us, even to the extend of voicing out issues that his other backbencher club members dare not touch. He was even praised by the PM and his party boss for his performance as an MP. How many of our MP’s actually have a 100% attendance for parliamentary sessions. There are only four during last parliament and Loh Seng Kok was one of them.

But at last, Loh Seng Kok is not a candidate this time around even though he is still young and a full time exemplary politician. But at least he played a major role in the making of Kelana Jaya history. Looks like I need to do my homework again to search and vote for the candidate most compatible to our needs and expectation. The first thing to do is to cross check them with the Candidates Compatibility Checklist and see how all these aspiring YBs in my constituency will fare.
Which candidate in Kelana Jaya and Subang Jaya able to convince me to vote for them? I will decide when I crossed the ballots on March 8.

No comments: